Access is a shared ride, origin to destination, paratransit service that provides transportation for disabled residents and visitors in Lewisville, Denton and Highland Village. DCTA’s Access service is broken up into two categories, ADA paratransit service and Non-ADA demand-response service. An application process is required for all Access services.
ADA Paratransit Service
This is an origin-to-destination public transportation service for people with disabilities who are unable to utilize Denton and/or Lewisville Connect Bus Service. Trips must begin and end within three quarters of a mile of DCTA’s fixed route Connect Bus Service.
Non-ADA Demand Response Service
This is a demand-response, non-ADA service in Denton, Lewisville and Highland Village serving passengers who are disabled and/or elderly (age 65 and over). Non-ADA is a first-come-first-served public transportation service. If the time you requested is unavailable, the scheduling department may offer an optional available time. Every effort will be made to schedule trips within a reasonable time window.
Persons who cannot independently use DCTA’s bus or rail because of a physical, cognitive, or visual disability are eligible for paratransit service. DCTA follows the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 eligibility standards for paratransit services. People with disabilities in the following categories are eligible to receive paratransit services.
- Category I: Applicants who cannot independently use DCTA bus or rail service, even with training.
- Category II: Applicants who can use or learn to use an accessible public transit system, but the system is not fully accessible.
- Category III: Applicants who have a specific impairment that prevents them from getting to or from a bus stop or rail station.
How to Apply For Access Services
Step 1: Complete an Access Paratransit Certification form.
- Contact DCTA at 940.243.0077 to request an Access application by mail or click here to download the application.
Step 2: Return Access application to Access Department one of the following ways:
- In person at the Euline Brock Downtown Denton Transit Center located at 604 E. Hickory St, Denton, TX 76205
- By mail, addressed to the Access Department, DCTA, 604 E. Hickory St, Denton, TX 76205
- By fax to 940.387.1461
Step 3: Receive a determination letter within 21 days
- Once application has been submitted you may be contacted to schedule an in-person interview to aid in the determination of your eligibility
- An appeal process is available to any person who is denied eligibility for Paratransit Services, or who disagrees with an eligibility decision
Access Service Hours and Holidays
Access service hours for the entire service area when UNT Shuttle operates a limited schedule are (during summer and spring break):
- Weekdays from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Access service hours (excluding holidays) for Denton when UNT Shuttle operates full service:
- Monday through Thursday from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Access will not operate on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- One Way: $3.00
- 10-Ride Book: $30.00
This pass is not valid on the A-train, however, Paratransit ADA Certified passengers using the Local System or Regional System can ride free with their valid paratransit photo ID. Call 940.243.0077 for more details.
Trinity Metro will not accept ADA IDs any longer.
Passengers can purchase tickets from the Access driver the day of their trip using cash, check or money order. Those wishing to purchase their tickets in advance can make their purchase at the Euline Brock Downtown Denton Transit Center (DDTC) or online.
If you qualify for reduced fare (Seniors (65+), persons with disabilities, Medicare cardholders and students [ages 5 to 18; students over the age of 14 must have a valid high school or DCTA issued ID]), please fill out the Reduced Fare Application.
How to Ride Access
- Schedule Your Trip
- Be Ready To Board the Vehicle
- Board the Access Vehicle
Once approved for travel on Access, passengers are required to schedule a trip by calling 940.243.0077. Reservations can be made from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Saturdays. Reservations should be made at least one day in advance and are accepted up to seven days in advance. Please note on weekends and holidays, trip requests can be left on the Customer Service general mailbox.
Passengers will receive a phone call confirming their reservation time one day prior to their scheduled trip.
Access passengers are asked to allow a 30-minute window (15 minutes on each side of the scheduled pick up time) and to wait in a place where they can see or hear the Access vehicle arrive. Passengers should have their required fare ready upon boarding.
Access drivers are able to provide minimal assistance to passengers while boarding. If a passenger requires a Personal Care Attendant (PCA), this need must be noted in the Access application process. The approved PCA is allowed to accompany the passenger at no additional charge. Properly identified service animals are allowed on Access vehicles for those passengers requiring service animal assistance.