Fare Enforcement

If you received a citation for fare evasion, then please be advised that the citation charges you with a violation of a state law. Anytime you are charged with an offense you have the right to consult an attorney, the right to a jury trial if you want one, and the right to plead not guilty.

You must make an appropriate disposition of the case by either an administrative resolution or a judicial resolution as explained below. If you wish to dispute this case, you must do so through the judicial resolution. You may not dispute the case through an administrative resolution.

Administrative Resolution

If you wish to dispose of this case with an administrative resolution without a declaration of guilt, you must do one of the following WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE OFFENSE DATE as shown on the citation:

  • Pay the $75 administrative fee in person between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday at the Downtown Denton Transit Center, at 604 E. Hickory Denton, Texas 76205. The fee must be paid with cash, cashier’s check, money order, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard). Personal checks are not accepted. Cashier’s checks or money orders should be made payable to “DCTA.”
  • You may pay the $75 administrative fee by mailing a cashier’s check or money order, payable to “DCTA” to Denton County Transportation Authority, ATTN: Fare Citation Division 604 E. Hickory Street, Denton, Texas 76205. Do not mail cash. Personal checks are not accepted. The mailed payment must be postmarked within 30 days of the offense date for the case to be disposed of with an administrative resolution. The citation number, your name and date of birth must be provided with the mailed payment to ensure proper processing.
  • You may pay the $75 administrative fee on-line by credit card (Visa or MasterCard) by clicking here.

Upon timely payment of the administrative fee, the case will be considered administratively resolved and no further court action will be taken. After 30 days of the offense date, you may no longer dispose of the case with an administrative resolution; you must dispose of the case with a judicial resolution.

If you have any further questions about the administrative resolution procedure you may call DCTA at 940-243-0077.

Judicial Resolution

If you wish to dispute the violation, you must contact the Justice of the Peace Court Pct. #3 on or before the appearance dated listed on the back side of the citation. You may contact the Court for additional information regarding this citation by calling (972) 434-4750.

  • You may pay the fine in person during the court’s business hours 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., at 190 N. Valley Pkwy., #100, Lewisville, Texas 75067.
  • You may mail a cashier’s check or money order, payable to Justice of the Peace Pct.# 3, to 190 N. Valley Pkwy., #100, Lewisville, Texas 75067. Please do not mail cash – No personal checks accepted.

JUVENILES - (Ages 14 – 16) - State law requires that any person under 17 years of age APPEAR IN PERSON before the judge. A juvenile must be ACCOMPANIED BY A PARENT OR GUARDIAN.

If you fail to either make voluntary payment or to set your case for trial BY THE APPEARANCE DATE SHOWN ON THE REVERSE SIDE, A WARRANT may be issued for your ARREST and/or additional penalties will be added to the amount of the fine. Payment of an insufficient amount does not prevent the issuance of a warrant.