DCTA welcomes filming and photography on most DCTA property that is open to the public, including local bus and commuter rail. However, all photo and filming activities require prior notice, a permit and insurance.
All photographers and videographers are prohibited from entering, photographing, or videotaping non-public areas of DCTA’s transit system. In addition, all photographers and videographers must fully and immediately comply with any requests, directions, or instructions of DCTA personnel related to safety concerns. Any photographers and videographers without an agency-approved permit will be asked to vacate the premises.
Request for Photography/Film Permit
In order to take photos and/or footage of DCTA services, preauthorization from the agency’s marketing and communications department is required. Below is a breakdown of film/photo requirements for various requestors:
News Media Photo/Film Requests
- News media requests to film on DCTA property must be coordinated through DCTA’s Marketing and Communications department
- Media personnel are allowed to ride for free, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity
Student Photo/Film Requests
- Inquiry must be received at least two weeks in advance of requested date
- Must be a student enrolled at an accredited college or university and provide a letter from your professor explaining the project
- Filming will be accommodated when time and staff is available
- Students are allowed to ride for free, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity
Commercial Photo/Film Requests
- Commercial, nonprofit, trade and student photographers and filmmakers are required to receive written permission, provide certificate of liability coverage and meet other requirements outlined in the guidelines
- Depending on the project, a pre-production meeting may be held at the proposed filming location with you and DCTA’s filming representative to discuss your plans and how we can accommodate them in accordance with DCTA’s regulations and safety requirements
- Photographers/Filmmakers may ride for free after DCTA approval, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity